like a wizard

A Room with a View (Dover Thrift Editions)

A Room with a View - E.M. Forster If the ending hadn't lost me, this would have been a five-star'er. So much funnier than I thought it would be, similar to Waugh Evelyn or [a:Graham Greene|2533|Graham Greene|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1254688603p2/2533.jpg]. Enjoyment may have been augmented by the fact that I read it while traveling. Lucy, too, was perplexed; but she saw that they were in for what is known as “quite a scene,” and she had an odd feeling that whenever these ill-bred tourists spoke the contest widened and deepened till it dealt, not with rooms and views, but with—well, with something quite different, whose existence she had not realized before...Miss Bartlett, though skilled in the delicacies of conversation, was powerless in the presence of brutality. It was impossible to snub any one so gross. Her face reddened with displeasure. She looked around as much as to say, "Are you all like this?" And two little old ladies, who were sitting further up the table, with shawls hanging over the backs of the chairs, looked back, clearly indicating "We are not; we are genteel."

The Healthcare Handbook
Nathan Moore, Elisabeth Askin
L'apprenti assassin (L'assassin royal, #1)
Robin Hobb
Witch World (Witch World : Estcarp Cycle No. 1)
Andre Norton
Science Fiction (The New Critical Idiom)
Adam Roberts