like a wizard

The Handmaid's Tale (Everyman's Library)

The Handmaid's Tale - Valerie Martin, Margaret Atwood Liked this more after reading her chapter about it in her [b:In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination|10356713|In Other Worlds SF and the Human Imagination|Margaret Atwood|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328311650s/10356713.jpg|15259682].Dystopian elements checklist:-New names for current geopolitical locations (Gilead, National Homeland One); -Forced propaganda consumption, often about vanquished foes ("…after the catastrophe, when they shot the president and machine-gunned the congress and the army declared a state of emergency. They blamed it on the Islamic fanatics, at the time."); -Constant surveillance (the Eyes)-Being forced to hide true emotions due to aforementioned constant surveillance ("…the voice is placid, flat, unrevealing. We pass the first checkpoint without saying anything further.")-Remaining true to yourself "inside" despite aforementioned hiding of true emotions ("…I can feel speech backing up inside me, it's so long since I've really talked with anyone.")-Ironic government slogans ("God Is A Natural Resource")-New gov't bodies/orgs (The Commanders)-Scapegoat/victimize to consolidate power (Mob killing of accused rapists)-Everyday resistance ("…an event, a small defiance of rule, so small as to be undetectable, but such moments are the rewards I hold out for myself… such moments are possibilities, tiny peepholes.")-Organized resistance ("…the Appalachian Highlands, says the voice-over, where the Angels of the Apocalypse, Fourth Division, are smoking out a pocket of Baptist guerrillas, with air support from the Twenty-frist Battalion of the Angles of Light.")-Class structure, haves and have-nots ("It's only for officers…from all branches; and senior officials. And trade delegations of course. It stimulates trade. It's a good place to meet people. You can hardly do business without it…No nicotine-and-alcohol taboos here! You see, then do have some advantages here.")-New vocabulary (Unwomen, Econowives, Marthas, etc)-Remembering 'before' (tons! Life with Luke and her child, the transition of power)

The Healthcare Handbook
Nathan Moore, Elisabeth Askin
L'apprenti assassin (L'assassin royal, #1)
Robin Hobb
Witch World (Witch World : Estcarp Cycle No. 1)
Andre Norton
Science Fiction (The New Critical Idiom)
Adam Roberts