like a wizard

Lolita, 50th Anniversary Edition

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov "But now listen to what happened next. After lunch I was reclining in a low chair trying to read. Suddenly two deft little hands were over my eyes: she had crept up from behind as if re-enacting, in a ballet sequence, my morning maneuver. Her fingers were a luminous crimson as they tried to blot out the sun, and she uttered hiccups of laughter and jerked this way and that as I stretched my arm sideways and backwards without otherwise changing my recumbent position. My hand swept over her agile giggling legs, and the book like a sleigh left my lap, and Mrs. Haze strolled up and said indulgently: "Just slap her hard if she interferes with your scholarly meditations. How I love this garden [no exclamation mark in her tone]. Isn't it divine in the sun [no question mark either]." And with a sign of feigned content, the obnoxious lady sank down on the grass and looked up at the sky as she leaned back on her splayed-out hands, and presently an old gray tennis ball bounced over her, and Lo's voice came from the house haughtily: 'Pardonnez, Mother. I was not aiming at you.' Of course not, my hot downy darling." Lolita, pages 52 through 53

The Healthcare Handbook
Nathan Moore, Elisabeth Askin
L'apprenti assassin (L'assassin royal, #1)
Robin Hobb
Witch World (Witch World : Estcarp Cycle No. 1)
Andre Norton
Science Fiction (The New Critical Idiom)
Adam Roberts